Monday, February 1, 2010

The Stranger

I think I finally began to understand Meursault after our discussion on Monday. Camus' Preface was the final piece in a puzzle I have struggled with since we started reading The Stranger. But before I begin my commentary, I want to share the lyrics from "Existentialism on Prom Night", a song by Straylight Run. I could not help thinking of this song as I read Camus' novel.


"Existentialism On Prom Night"

When the sun came up,
We were sleeping in,
Sunk inside our blankets,
Sprawled across the bed,
And we were dreaming,

There are moments when,
When I know it and
The world revolves around us,
And we're keeping it,
Keep it all going,
This delicate balance,
Vulnerable all knowing,

Sing like you think no one's listening,
You would kill for this,
Just a little bit,
Just a little bit,
You would, kill for this

Sing like you think no one's listening,
You would kill for this,
Just a little bit,
Just a little bit,
You would, you would...

Sing me something soft,
Sad and delicate,
Or loud and out of key,
Sing me anything,
we're glad for what we've got,
Done with what we've lost
Our whole lives laid out right in front of us,

Sing like you think no one's listening,
You would kill for this,
Just a little bit,
Just a little bit,
You would,

Sing like you think no one's listening,
You would kill for this,
Just a little bit,
Just a little bit,
You would, you would....

Sing me something soft,
Sad and delicate,
Or loud and out of key,
Sing me anything.

I think the two lines that remind me of Meursault the most are, "We're glad for what we've got, done with what we've lost' (Existentialism). As a sensory person, I think Meursault is glad for what he has. He enjoys Marie's company, his smokes, and the beach; he is content with his life, and he doesn't seem to ask for anything more. During his imprisonment, Meursault reflects on his life, and seems to appreciate what he had before he went to jail, but he doesn't live with regret. He has lost his freedom, and he doesn't want to die, but he makes peace with his death. I think this is because Meursault doesn't linger on the past. He doesn't linger on the ambitions he once had as a student, or Maman's death, or anything in the past; he is "done with what [he's] lost" because he decides none of it really matters.

I was quick to judge Meursault in the beginning. I didn't understand his lifestyle, and I wondered if he was disconnected from society and lived without purpose. However, as I moved through the novel, I began to wonder if Meursault understood something about life that society fails to grasp. As a student, I am always busy thinking about the present and the future. I am striving for some greater purpose, or at least I think I am. But Meursault makes me question the purpose of life. His philosophy of life seems depressing, but enjoying a summer day on the beach, not worrying about getting ahead in life, or getting the highest paying job possible, doesn't sound too bad. In our discussions, we criticized Meursault for not having a purpose and not living life to the fullest, but what if living life to the fullest doesn't always include striving for more? What if happiness can be found when we enjoy the moment, instead of throwing ourselves into preparation for "the future"?

At first, I could not wrap my head around Meursault's crime. I could not understand how anyone could simply kill another human being without feeling regret or remorse. Once again, Camus' Preface brought clarity to my muddled thoughts, and I understood that the murder isn't necessarily the most important part of The Stranger. I find Meursault's unfailing dedication to the truth incredible. He ultimately perishes for this dedication, but I wonder if his dedication allows him to finally make peace with the world and its "gentle indifference"? (The Stranger)

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful entry, Hannah. Thanks for the lyrics and the connection with "done with what's lost".

    It seems that society will never (to use a key motif) "get used to" the truth or truth-tellers. Someone mentioned in discussion (was it you?) the "inconvenient truth".

    I love how you are truthful in the documentation of your understanding of this novel, its protagonist.



    I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camus became a Christian before he died. Read about it in The Universe Next Door by Sire. Camus couldn't live such a meaningless life.

    ReplyDelete